Thursday, September 27, 2012


         
       My space is the Delta Zeta house. In my paper I describe the house and analyze it through the lens in Vanclay’s Space Matters. I begin by talking about how significant features and symbols contribute to the sense of place, such as the Delta Zeta letters in the courtyard. This is in my opening paragraph. Then I move to place making and turning a space into a place. I use the pledges and actives in my example of having a place verses a space. I thought this was the perfect way to exemplify my point because place making happens every year here with a big group of people. I also talk about how experiences shape the perception one can have of a place. I talk about the multiple experiences that the Delta Zeta women have at this place which deepens their connection to it. My paper talks about the factors that make this place special and contributes to personal attachment. I point out personal attachment and how people who are attached to the place want to improve it. I point out many examples that are seen throughout the house. Some examples of efforts girls have made are pictures hung throughout the house, personally painted Delta Zeta letters, and pottery in the kitchen with Delta Zeta letters covering them. I also go over the fact that when people observe the sorority house from the outside, they are only seeing a superficial view. They do not get to see the community bond or personal connection the women have to the place. 

1 comment: