Thursday, October 4, 2012




           

     A T.V. episode that I have recently watched is Modern Family. I saw the episode in season three titled “Disneyland.” In this sitcom episode, Disneyland is both satirized and glamourized through the adventures and plotlines of the characters in Modern Family.
     The episode begins at the Dunphy’s house where Claire, the mother of the family, is making breakfast. She tells her children to eat up because Disneyland is not only the happiest place on earth, but also home to the most expensive churro. This was a great opening scene, in my opinion, because I think that mostly everyone that has ever been to Disneyland can relate to the annoyance that everything is overpriced. Claire continues to inform her daughter that she is bringing a boy along with the family so she can (not so subtly) set her up with him. The plan works well until Haley, Claire’s daughter, ironically finds her ex boyfriend at the park. Although it is a sitcom, this was a little bit too cliché and ironic for my taste.
            In another plot line, Cam and Mitchell bring their daughter, Lily, on a leash. I loved that fact that they made this an entire plot line throughout the show, as it is the perfect way to satirize tourists at Disneyland.  Most people, as myself, who have been to a good number of theme parks have seen those parents with their kids on a leash. It was hilarious for me watch Cam and Mitchell’s thoughts on treating their daughter like a pet.
            On yet another plot line, Gloria is another tourist who does not know what she is getting herself into. She arrives at the park in five-inch stilettos. I thought that the writers did a good job with this plot line as well, as they cover so many different mistakes that people make when going to a theme park. In the end, Gloria ends up ditching her heels for a pair of mini mouse slippers. Her son is painted as the typical tourist who is too busy with work to enjoy the park. The catch is that he is a young teenager. I think that this view of a Disneyland tourist could have been dry, but the writers kept it entertaining and comedic by having a young boy take on this role.
            The final plotline is between Phil and his son. They are both adventurous and run ecstatically to each ride only to find a forty-five minute wait. Phil struggles with keeping up with his son, as he wants to be a “cool dad”. This is something that I think a lot of viewers can relate to, and again was played out well. In the end, it turns out the Phil could not keep up because he was not cool enough or getting too old, but was coming down with the flu.
            One thing that I must draw upon is the fact that Disney owns ABC, the channel that plays Modern Family. This makes me conclude that the episode was most likely written as a way to advertise the park. In my opinion, this would be a great marketing strategy. Whether it was, or was not written with the intention of marketing the park, I think that as a whole it was extremely well-written, entertaining, and relatable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment