Thursday, September 6, 2012


         
     When writing a paper it is important to know your topic very well by gathering information, asking questions and exploring potential outcomes. In fact, many writers spend more time brainstorming and reflecting on their topic then they do actually writing their paper. (Palmquist 38) I have found this to be true through my writing experiences. My best papers have been a result of spending time brainstorming and researching my topic in depth. In my opinion, going the extra mile to research and ponder the subject in depth is worth the while.
         While researching and reading about your subject from various sources, it is important to read critically. Engaging with the text and making annotations, comments and examinations will help spark questions and help to better understand the information being taken in. (Palmquist 54) I have found that highlighting key points helps me to engage in the text. This is because after reading I can go back and have a clear view of the pieces I want to remember from the selection. In writing project number one, it will help me to see through another lens if I highlight key points that really give me an idea of how the character sees the world. Trying to see things from another characters viewpoint as in writing project number one is a perfect example of when it is imperative to read critically.
         Reading critically coincides with writing analytically. In Palmquist’s Joining the Conversation it is said that when you analyze, you must take on the role of the interpreter (PG 210). In order to do this, you must try to understand the significance, potential impact, and origins of the subject. I think these are three very important things to think about when brainstorming how to analyze a space, such as in Writing Project One.
         Once you have researched, asked questions, and found a fuller understanding of your topic, it is time to pick a focal point. Break the information up into parts and look for trends. (Palmquist 241) I would say that this is very good advice because if you have done your research and brainstormed in depth, there will be too many idea to keep your paper focused and on topic. When analyzing a place, there will most likely be many different focal points, but it is important to focus in somewhere to keep thoughts clear and coherent.
         After a focal point has been found, it is time to make a claim, otherwise known as a thesis statement. (Palmquist 250) The thesis statement helps readers understand the overall analysis is reasonable by providing relevant reasons. It is important to remember that when writing an analytical paper, claims must be able to be challenged. When I write my first writing project, I will make sure to find my thesis statement within a timely manner because the whole paper will be revolved around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment