Sunday, November 25, 2012

An extremely important part of the college experience are football games. At ASU, football games are important to the school as they raise school spirit and culture. It is a place where ASU fans all come together and feel united. It is a special event for ASU because any ASU fan can come, whether they are a future student, current student, recent alumni, or graduated thirty years ago. There are not many events that can bring all ranges of generations together, though football can. For an ASU student, there are many different seating options that will give the fan a different experience, although it’s the same event. One could choose to sit in general admission with family, friends, and possibly even some fans from the other team. They could also unite with the student section to cheer the team onto victory. Students feel united in this way, as they are all students going through the same experiences, cheering their team onto victory. Another recent addition to the football games is the Greek section. All students in Greek life can sit in this section. This makes students feel even more united, as they are all apart of the same system and group of organizations. All in all, football games are an incredible event that unites ASU fans like no other.Let’s interview an ASU Alumni, Jennifer Peitler, to see her thoughts on college football games. Jennifer, did you attend football games at ASU when you were in college? Yes, Nicole, I did. I think that football games are very important in order to have well-rounded college experience. How did football games shape your experience? They helped me get a better college experience because it let me become more involved in the school and gave me more pride in being a student at ASU. Clearly, football games made Jennifer feel much more connected to her school. Lets see if current ASU students feel the same way. Let’s interview Kathryn Warwick, Danielle Wesseleink and Myranda Garcia, current freshmen, and see what she thinks of football games. Kathryn, how have football games impacted your college experience thus far? Football games are always a fun time, and I have met so many people at every one! I love to get dressed up in maroon and gold with all of my friends before I go out. We go all out in ASU shirts, tattoos and even sun devil jewelry. Anyone who sees us knows we have a lot of pride in our school. Thank you Kathryn. Let’s hear from you Danielle. How do you feel that football has shaped your college experience so far? My friends and I love to attend ASU games, and the game is something that I can talk about afterwards with a lot of people. After every game a big group of people on my floor in Hassayampa get together and we talk about our favorite part of the game. It’s just an easy way to connect to people. Wow! It sounds like you have made a lot of friends and bonded over football games! Let’s see if Myranda feels the same way. Myranda, do you feel the football games have helped you to make friends at ASU or bonded you closer to anyone? Yeah, I do. It’s something that I can talk to with anyone, whether it be someone in my sorority, a peer in class, or even one of my professor. With the games on ESPN, I think it’s cool because it’s something I can talk about with my parents and friends at home. As an out of state student, it was hard to adjust at first, but when people from home make comments about the games, I feel like they aren’t so far away. Thanks Myranda. After hearing from so many students and alumni, it seems to be evident that the football games at ASU have had a big impact on them. It has increased their social circle, created bonds, and made them feel more at home. Let’s interview Kody Kohl, a current ASU football player to see if he feels the same way. Kody, how has participating in college football influenced your college experience? I wouldn’t have it any other way. Playing has made me want to do better not only on the field, but in class. All of my football brothers give me so much support. It is an opportunity that cannot be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment